Sunday, March 20, 2022

My Second Wine and Cheese Pairing

Pinot Noir and Le Gruyere

The Pinot Noir smelled of fresh leather, earth, dried black cherry, plum, and cranberry. On its own, it tasted of spruce and cherry and was very bold, and it had a strong tannic structure with some acids. The gruyere was creamy and nutty when allowed to melt in the mouth. When combined, the nuttiness of the cheese cut through even more, and the tannins were somewhat reduced. I am not a fan of most red wines, but the gruyere made it more bearable.

Chenin Blanc and Robiola Bosina

The Chenin Blanc had good floral notes with more subtle smells of melon and lime. By itself, it tasted of spicy ginger, candied orange, and honeysuckle with good acid structure. The robiola bosina is a very creamy and mild cheese; it was my favorite of the evening. When combined, the floral scents and tastes of the wine became super powerful. The sweetness in the cheese was exposed as the acids melted was the cheese fats. This was my favorite pairing of the night.

Riesling and Gorgonzola Dolce

This Riesling from Colombia Valley, Washington had super strong notes of sweet honeysuckle and smelled overall fresh. It tasted of super sweet honey, fresh cut apples, and sweet pears with great acid structure; it was similar to apple juice. This Riesling was my favorite wine of the night. I expected the gorgonzola dolce to be a sweet cheese, but I found it to be very funky and more similar to blue cheese. When combined, the funkiness of the cheese was somewhat tamed; however, the wine was so good that it could make anything taste good.

Overall, I had a great time pairing wine and cheese. My favorite pair was Chenin Blanc and robiola bosina, but my favorite wine was the sweet Riesling. I think that I am getting better at recognizing good pairings; although, I was disappointed that the gorgonzola dolce was not sweet as advertised. Still, this was a great night of experimenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Second Wine and Cheese Pairing

Pinot Noir and Le Gruyere The Pinot Noir smelled of fresh leather, earth, dried black cherry, plum, and cranberry. On its own, it tasted of ...