Sunday, February 20, 2022

DTN Lesson 1

Drink This Now's lesson one is about seeing the difference between wine straight from the bottle and the same wine that has been allowed to oxidize for a short time. I tried to find a bottle of Domaine Grand Veneur Cote-du-Rhone as recommended, but the closest that I could acquire was Chateau de Segries Cotes-du-Rhone. I also got a rosemary and olive oil infused asiago cheese and uncured spicy sopressada.

Step 1: I tried the wine immediately after opening and performed the sniff and swirl. It was a very dark red red, and I could tell just from the scent that it was a very tannic wine. It also had some smells of old fruit, specifically dried cherries and raisins. I then tasted the wine and received a mouthful of harsh tannins; my mouth felt super dry. Despite the boldness, I could pick up some faint flavors of bitter dark chocolate, earth, and paint thinner. Honestly, it was not very pleasant.

Step 2: I decided to pour more into my glass and let it set for about two hours on the kitchen counter instead of simply leaving the cork out because I did not want the whole bottle to spoil if I did not finish it. I tried it after oxidization and still found it to have a lot of tannins, but it had noticeably softened and became slightly less bitter. I could now pick up on some flavors of cherry and plum, but it had also taken on some qualities that I can only describe as dusty or like a really old building. I could not tell if the color had lightened.

Step 3: I tried the wine with the rosemary and olive oil infused asiago, and found that it did help to cut back the harshness of the wine somewhat. I could also now taste more of the grape and cherry. It was not a great flavor, however, but I do recognize that that was most likely from my choice in cheese as rosemary and fruit does not seem like a great combination in hindsight. 

Step 4: I tried the wine with spicy sopressada, and it was also not a great flavor in my opinion. Although, the fattiness and spiciness of the meat did manage to cut through the wine. There is not much else that I can say here because I did not try any more as I found the taste unbearable. However, that is probably because I am just not a fan of tannic wines. I acknowledge that the meat and cheese did there job of neutralizing some of the harshness of the bold wine, but the taste is still simply not for me.

Step 5: I did not allow the wine to age any longer due to time constraints and that I did not really enjoy the wine.

Overall, I understand the point of this experiment and still thought that it was a fun activity. I hope to find a wine that I enjoy later and can use to repeat this process to further my enjoyment of the complexity of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Second Wine and Cheese Pairing

Pinot Noir and Le Gruyere The Pinot Noir smelled of fresh leather, earth, dried black cherry, plum, and cranberry. On its own, it tasted of ...